I kept seeing this recipe everywhere awhile back. We finally decided to try it (aka we finally bought cauliflower). There are many versions of this CAULIFLOWER “MAC” AND CHEESE CASSEROLE out there, so you can try whatever you find by googling or on Pinterest. We tried the one from Food Network. There are also similar recipes that has actual “mac” in them.
It is a little heavy on the cream as expected. I’m almost positive there is a “healthier” version of this somewhere.
Everyone loved it for dinner and as leftovers the next day! We added spaghetti noodles, and some ham from Easter dinner the night we made it and some lunch meat from a sub sandwich (the bread got too hard to eat) when we had it for lunch the next day. Yum!
Click on the link to view more of WHAT WE’RE EATING
CAULIFLOWER ‘MAC’ AND CHEESE CASSEROLE recipe from Food Network
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- 6 servings
- Kosher salt, as needed, plus 1/2 teaspoon
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into small florets
- Vegetable oil spray
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 ounces cream cheese, cut into small pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar, plus 1/2 cup for topping the casserole
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Equipment: 8 by 8-inch baking dish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Season the water with salt.
- Spray the baking dish with vegetable oil spray.*
- Cook the cauliflower in the boiling water until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
- Drain well and pat between several layers of paper towels to dry.
- Transfer the cauliflower to the baking dish and set aside.
- Bring the cream to a simmer in a small saucepan, and whisk in the cream cheese and mustard until smooth.
- Stir in 1 cup of the cheese, salt, pepper and garlic and whisk just until the cheese melts, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, pour over the cauliflower, and stir to combine.
- Top with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese* and bake until browned and bubbly hot, about 15 minutes.
*Bold instructions can be done by younger kids.