We have made so many different things with King’s Hawaiian Sweet Rolls, so when I came upon this recipe, I knew I had to try it. The girls love these rolls with anything, or even if they was just plain.
We did not have onion, poppy seeds, or Swiss cheese on hand. I think the onion would have definitely added some flavor, although it was good without it too. I subbed the Swiss cheese for shredded because we always have shredded cheese in the fridge.
Use a little less butter! I would use maybe half a stick! I think we may also just lightly top with the onion mixture next time. It was a little drenched (probably because of the lack of onions).
We’ve never baked the sweet rolls it like this before. It was a pleasant change. It is super easy to make, and you can prep beforehand, refrigerate, and pop into the oven whenever you want to eat them (okay, maybe 20 minutes before you want to eat them 😉 okay, maybe another minute for it to cool down. hehe).
Click on the link to view more of WHAT WE’RE EATING.
HAWAIIAN SWEET ROLL HAM SAMMIES recipe from Beyer Beware
- Prep Time: No more than 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minute
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Makes: Makes 12 rolls.
- 12 Hawaiian sweet rolls
- 1 onion, minced or grated
- 1 stick of butter
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 teaspoons of poppy seeds
- 1/2 pound shaved ham
- 8 slices of Swiss cheese
- Melt butter in small skillet.
- Add onions, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and poppy seeds into butter.
- Simmer for several minutes.
- Slice rolls as a group through the middles.
- Place bottoms in an aluminum foil lined 13″x9″ pan.
- Spread 3/4 of onion mixture on rolls bottoms.
- Top with ham and cheese slices.
- Top with the rolls tops.
- Spread remaining onion mixture over the top.
- Cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate until ready to bake.
- Bake covered with foil for 30 minutes on 350*F.
Oh my gosh, I made these (found on Pinterest, of course) a few weeks ago and we LOVED them. Seriously, they’re SO GOOD! We used Swiss cheese and onions, but we didn’t have the poppy seed either. I actually really liked the onions, but I would definitely use less than the recipe calls for. Glad you posted this because it reminded me that I want to make them again. 🙂
Yay! I am so glad you posted this recipe! My boys LOVE those rolls (as do I) 🙂 So far it’s the only consistent thing they’ll eat…I am so going to try this recipe!:)
Pingback: Our Week in Photos (Week 52 of 52) | Keeping up with the Moys
Hi Joyce, THANK YOU for posting this recipe!! I had some sandwiches almost exactly like this at an Aggie Moms party (Texas A&M Aggies, that is… I don’t think we are well-known out where you are…) I loved the sandwiches and tried to duplicate them at home, but did not know all the ingredients.
Happy new year!!