Before I give you a little update on how I’m doing on memorizing Romans 8, I wanted to share a few things that have been so helpful to me in these past 4 weeks.
- RememberMe Bible Verse app – This is free for my Android, but I’m not sure if iPhone has this same app available. I LOVE using the Puzzle feature to help me memorize my verses. You can even do memory verses in different languages too, so Melody can memorize her Latin verses, John 1:1-7, for the year using this! Looks like there is something similar called Verseminder from NavPress.
- Scripture Typer – I had found this at the very beginning of the challenge because I knew I would need something more than flashcards to help me remember. This was a super big help during week 2.
- Resource Page on Do Not Depart – There are memory cards, first letter cards, recordings, and wallpaper available to aid in memorization of Romans 8.
- Hiding Romans 8 in My Heart FB group – We have 133 members in the group who encourage each other as we memorize the verses together.
Here’s a little update on how it’s been going with Romans 8.
Week 1: I’ve heard v.1 many, many times before (usually in a different version) so I didn’t have too much trouble getting the first 2 verses.
Week 2: The next 2 were a little tougher, but I just took it phrase by phrase, and finally got it by the end of the week.
Week 3: I made up a little song for v.5-6, and got it in about a day, (it also helped that the wording is super easy to get) which was perfect because I didn’t have to worry about it over Thanksgiving weekend….
Week 4: …but because I had slacked off on trying to remember all 6 verses, this week has been a little harder. I have it memorized every single time after I look at it, but if I try to do it without having read it first, I’m in trouble. The day is not over, so I still have some time. I can’t believe that I almost have 9 verses of Romans 8 memorized! Only 30 more to go. =p
Another thing that has been helpful is to read about Romans 8. I think it’s more than just memorizing the words, but when I can put together what a passage is really saying, it helps me to visual the words and put them to heart. Here are some things that have been shared in our FB group page:
- bibleunderstanding.com: Romans Chart
- Lisa Notes: Five favorites from Romans 8:1-2
- the ROMANS 8 movement
- Start date: Sunday, November 6th
- Finish date: Saturday, March 31st
- Pace of 2-3 verses a week, with a 2-week “life happens” buffer.