At MOPS, 2 weeks ago, we made I Spy jars. They’re really simple to make and keeps the kids busy.
- Jar (Even old baby food jars would work…just make sure to use fewer objects)
- Pellets (small beads or rice could work too)
- 20 small objects
- Contact paper
- Elastic band or string
- Fill your jar with pellets. (For ours, we used 1/3 cup. This depends on the size of your jar. Make sure there is space in the jar for the pellets to move around.)
- Make a list of your objects on a piece of paper.
- Laminate or use the contact paper to cover the paper.
- Punch a hole and add in your string.
- Put the objects into the jar.
- Close the lid. (Use your own discretion as to whether or not the lid should be glued shut.)
- Tie the list onto the jar….or not.
I had 21 objects in there instead because I had put a tiny golden bell in, and when I tested it the first few times, I could not find it at all. =p This could keep your kids busy for awhile. Maybe you can have a themed jar with whatever your child is interested in at the time. Check out this LINK for more detailed/clear instructions.
Head over to Alicia’s Homemaking to see more Try New Adventures Thursday!
Great idea for easy entertainment!
Pingback: Our Week in Photos (Week 16 of 52) « Keeping up with the Moys
That is really cute! Might have to try it when Squishy is a bit older….:D
Can I ask where you bought the pellets and jars? Thanks! This seems like a great idea!
We did this craft at our MOPS meeting, so I’m not sure where they got them. I think you can probably get both at any crafts store. The pellets are called poly pellets or plastic pellets. You can get them at Joann.
pellets – http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?pageName=search&flag=true&PRODID=xprd1131917
jar – http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?pageName=search&flag=true&PRODID=xprd1130467
Hope that helps Michelle!
Thanks! Sadly we don’t have Joann’s here. 😦 Maybe Hobby Lobby will have them or I can find online and order. Really liked this project.
Great idea 🙂 I am going to do this with my little ones!