Let me preface this by saying that I am not a big fan of carrots. I have tried them so many different ways before and there was nothing that ever made carrots super delicious. The closest I get to really liking carrots are when they are in beef stew or chicken noodle soup. But we got a ton of carrots from my parents (my mom’s work union) so I had to do something with them. I saw a recipe for carrot fries somewhere and it sounded doable. I can’t remember the original source so I found this recipe for OVEN BAKED CARROT FRIES.
I didn’t have fresh rosemary on hand, so I just used dried. I think it’s time to plant an herb garden.
I wasn’t sure how much 1.5 pounds of carrots was, but a quick search told me 1 pound of carrots is about 8-9 large carrots, so it would be 12-13 large carrots? Follow the instructions exactly. I cut the carrots too small, because I forgot that when you bake them they shrink a lot.
We just had ketchup for whoever wanted any, but I think I will try a dip of some sort next time.
I can definitely eat carrots this way! Emily was hungry but dinner wasn’t ready and I gave her a carrot fry. She rejected it, but I told her to just try it first. She ate it, and said, “More.” Melody ate some, but she has never really had a taste for carrots. Norm liked it.
Click on the link to view more of WHAT WE’RE EATING.
OVEN BAKED CARROT FRIES
- Prep Time: Amount of time it takes to slice up carrots
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Makes: 4 Servings
- 12 carrots
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 pinch pepper
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Line a 13×9 shallow pan with foil.
- Slice away the tip and end of each carrot, and peel each completely.
- Cut carrots in half crosswise, then cut lengthwise, then cut lengthwise again.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the carrot sticks, olive oil, rosemary, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Stir until all are evenly coated.
- Place carrots in pan, spreading sticks out as much as possible.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until carrots are tender.